Institutions can administer the RISC at two timepoints during the academic year: late fall (October and November) and late spring (March and April). We are currently taking registrations for spring administration.
Administering on your campus
We offer three modes of data collection:
Colleges provide us with a list of student names and email addresses, and we send each student an initial email invitation and three reminder emails with hyperlinks to the survey. The survey typically takes around 7 minutes to complete.
In-class administration using personal devices
Colleges provide us with a list of course sections and names and email addresses of students enrolled in each section. We will print a personalized one-page flier for each student, and send them to the college prior to administration. College personnel then distribute the fliers to students in the selected course sections. Each flier has a unique URL that allows students to take the survey in class using a cell phone, tablet or laptop. Including time necessary to distribute fliers, total administration should take no more than 20 minutes. There is an additional $500 fee for this option.
Some colleges prefer to post a common hyperlink to the survey on college websites and social media, without directly emailing students unique hyperlinks. We provide this option, but for a variety of reasons we do not recommend it. Please contact us for more information.
Which option should we choose?
We recommend a minimum of 300 survey responses. Given that some colleges tend to have low response rates for web surveys, we also recommend surveying the entire student body when possible, especially for smaller institutions. Alternatively, consider using in-class administration.
For example, if the total number of students at your college is 1,500 and your typical web survey response rate is 10%, your expected number of respondents is 150. Here, we would strongly recommend in-class administration. But if the typical response rate is 30%, your expected number of respondents is 450, so web survey administration would be fine. Please contact us if you would like to discuss which would be your best option.
The RISC Survey team works closely with you on every aspect of preparing and administering the survey, including invitations, reminder messages, and delivery of the online survey. The timeline below outlines the process for the Spring 2019 data collection.
Fall 2018: Register for survey and plan
- Registration opens October 1st and closes in February.
- Sign service agreement.
- Begin planning promotional materials (e.g., pre-notification, social media, flyers, incentives).
Fall/Spring 2019: Survey preparations
- Customize your survey
- Provide RISC team the five office names you want included on the survey
- Develop up to 10 college-specific questions (additional $500 charge)
- Provide student population data file to RISC Survey staff
- Finalize promotional strategy
- Draft pre-notification email from college president
- Work with college IT professionals to have our domain name whitelisted
March/April 2019: Notification and data collection
- College sends survey pre-notification email from your college president
- Survey administration opens
- RISC staff send invitation to students and subsequent reminder messages to nonrespondents
June 2019: Data & Reports
- RISC staff deliver custom college report and raw survey data file
Because survey costs do not increase with the number of respondents, we charge a flat fee of $2,000 per school, regardless of size. This includes administration of the survey, generation of and electronic copies of all reports, and a copy of the survey dataset.
Colleges can add up to 10 additional questions for an additional $500.
Payment is due as follows:
- A non-refundable down payment of $500 and the signed contract is due 6 weeks prior to survey administration date.
- Student emails, customized office names and optional college questions are due 4 weeks prior to survey administration date (this date is chosen by the college).
- Remaining balance is due when final report and materials are delivered.
- Withdrawal: If a college decides to withdraw prior to survey administration, we will charge an additional $500 cancellation fee if we have already processed and loaded your data into our system.
Colleges receive an institutional report describing their survey results, as well as benchmarking data from other participating colleges.
Survey responses are provided in SAS, SPSS, and Stata formats.